Cooling The Hottest Deserts
King Saud University
With ambient temperatures reaching up to 120 degrees, air conditioning is a top priority for our Saudi Arabian customers. A school the size of King Saud University requires an enormous central plant, setting new records in cooling capacity.
King Saud University approached us to refurbish their existing 35k ton campus-wide cooling plant and add, existing 35k ton cooling plant with 17 km of tunnels. CTI stepped up to the plate and designed and constructed the largest cooling plant in the world. CTI provided engineering, procurement, and controls for all 3 phases of development:
– Re-design and retrofit of existing 35,000 ton cooling facility
– And New Process controls and Variable speed pumping
– 17 km of existing tunnels.
– New Central plant addition of 30,000 tons
– And new process controls, and variable speed pumping.
– Balance of plant controls i.e. generation, boilers, fuel systems,
– water treatment, and support equipment.
The resulting combined facilities supply a peak of 60,000 tons effective cooling for the entire campus.